Friday, August 11, 2006

sundance and IFC are my friends...

As a teacher, I get about two months off. The summer is my time to refresh and rejuvenate-- and sit my butt down and be as lazy as I want. Being that I have been at home with my wee one and have the power of Tivo, I been watching documentaries. Mobutu, Salvador Allende, Super Size Me, Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (OK, that one was through Netflix), and The Corporation have all been on my viewing list at one point or another. I have been thinking pretty deeply about the way I wish to raise Mark as a result. I don't want Mark to go into a McDonald's or any other fast food restaurant that will try to convince him that eating in an unhealthy way is 'cool.' I want Mark to be a free thinker that questions the status quo. I wish for Mark that he trains a critical eye on the world. It's a big responsibility, though... How do I raise him in this mainstream world without having him buy into everything 'The Man' tries to convince him is good and wonderful?

No comments: