Saturday, August 19, 2006

Boobies

My Mom has been going through the screening for breast cancer. When I went back to Wyoming a couple of weeks ago, I sat down with her to review all of her insurance coverage. Now that her tests keep coming back inconclusive, I'm attempting (from halfway across the country) to help her get a second opinion at a major medical facility once she hears benign/malignant from the doctors in Wyoming. The waiting thing really sucks at this point.

The weird thing is that I don't feel very emotional about this except anger that she's waited so long to get the lumps examined. Turns out that she's had the lumps for a while and she hasn't worked out a time to get screened. I'm pretty upset about that. Aside from that, I just want to know if she's okay or if we have a big fight ahead of us.

If she gets a malignant diagnosis, we've talked about bringing her out here for surgery. One of my good friends had breast cancer treatment at a breast center nearby and was happy with the treatment. I just don't want my Mom to get stuck in po-dunk Wyoming and getting ineffective treatment as a result.

I've also been reluctant to talk to people about all of this. I usually don't mind talking about stuff-- but I guess all of this just scares me too much. It's nice to have Mark and school to take my mind off scary boobies.

2 comments:

klugula said...

I'm putting out positive vibes for your ma. Say hello for me.
BTW, how's your sis doing? What's she up to; where's she at?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all comes out well for your mom.

Always Around Kids said...

My Mom's exact quote in response was, "He's so sweet."

I'll send you an e-mail later about my sister. Way too juicy for the blog. (Hmm... but perhaps not...) ;)