Monday, April 16, 2007

Tired of the tears

I'm sad, but also angry about the shooting at Virginia Tech today.

I immediately called my elementary school to see if my paraprofessional's son was involved (he's a VA Tech senior, as is his girlfriend). He was okay, and I haven't heard about his girlfriend. I hope she's okay-- I know her because she's subbed for me several times.

I also talked to my friend, who told me that one of my former co-workers had to rush to get her son because he witnessed a firearm at his high school.

It continues to make me furious, especially as I look at my precious little munchkin, that this is still happening. I'm pissed that I have to do lock-down drills and have eight-year-olds look at me and say, "Mrs. AAK, are we doing this so we won't be shot?" How do you answer that question? My answer is always, "We do this to make sure we're safe just in case something dangerous happens."

Are gun laws the answer? Background checks? I'm not sure.

Having just watched 'This Film is Not Yet Rated' this weekend, I do think that we need to stop enabling bloodless violence to be in PG movies.

I grew up in a house with guns. They were unlocked, but I knew full well to keep my hands off. I knew what the consequences of a gunshot were. And I want my son to know the same.

To all those that died today, may your souls rest in peace in the heaven that you're now in. To the families of those who died-- you are all in my prayers. I grieve with you.

To all those that were wounded, I pray for a speedy recovery. I pray for healing from the madness that you experienced.

I'm tired of crying for murdered students. How do we solve this?

No comments: