Monday, October 30, 2006

All brought on by Ben Folds...

As I was growing up, my mom cleaned houses. Even though I was a working class kid, I knew many of the upper middle class kids in my hometown because my mom would bring me along as she cleaned houses on 'snob hill' (aka Ridgeroad). My first paycheck came from when I substituted for my mom and cleaned a dentist office. My first steady job was when I cleaned hotel rooms where my mom was the Assistant Manager of Housekeeping. I cleaned hotel rooms throughout high school and college.

I hated every single minute of cleaning rooms. Perhaps hated is too light a word for what I felt-- despised? Loathed?

Whatever. My goal in life was to be able to afford to pay someone to clean my house. Weird benchmark of success, perhaps. But as I kick back with my glass of wine, I consider myself to be rockin' the suburbs (okay, exurbs) as I sit in my house that is freshly cleaned by someone other than myself.

Life is good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhhh - okay - who is Ben Folds? Congratulations on making it - your big time now - hehehee.

Anonymous said...

You're - duh

Always Around Kids said...

He sings 'Rockin the Suburbs' and 'Landed.' You can hit itunes for a listen if the song titles don't ring a bell.

Anonymous said...

I like cleaning for myself. Which is to say; I like ORGANIZING for myself. I get on kicks where I move things around in the house; shake things up, MAKE CHANGES. So, while I redecorate or throw things into a box for donations, I may as well dust and clean as I go, right? Plus, with our toy room (wall to wall and floor to ceiling movies, CD's, toys, action figures) can you imagine the painful experience that would be for a cleaning person; or for me; watching them mess w/ my things? No thank you! Why am I having a hard time picturing Ridge Road? I recognize the name; but don't remember where that is...

Always Around Kids said...

There was Sunnyhill and Ridgeroad-- I think Sunnyhill was the road that went above the Golden Hills and then Ridgeroad was the road that connected in towards the end that went up and over the hill.

I tend to clutter-- I'll get catalogs and think that I want to order-- but all of a sudden I have thirty catalogs spread all over. It sneaks up on me.

I remember that you are much more organized-- I remember your organized shoe boxes neatly tucked under the bunk bed. :)