Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Road Trip, Past Tense

We just returned from a monster road trip out to see the Minnesota family. It took us two days of driving (each way) to get to Southeastern Minnesota. Here were some of the highlights:
  • There wasn't as much traffic as we were expecting, which was a very pleasant surprise.
  • We enjoyed having some time alone as we drove. It was just the three of us, and we could be as serious or as silly as we wanted to be. Pretty nice to have some family bonding time.
  • The whims of the airlines were not controlling our travel destiny. I did not have to be worried if I had enough water/sippy cups/diapers. I had no b*tchy TSA employees to deal with. If we had to go to the bathroom, we stopped. If I wanted quiet, I popped in a DVD. After many recent unpleasant flying experiences lately, it was a treat.
  • I got to go to Seed Savers in Decorah, Iowa. I visited where the biodiversity-preserving magic happens. (And, according to the employee I talked to, I was their first on-site customer since the Visitor Center closed.)
  • We got to sit quietly in the farmhouse (where privacy does not exist) until 2 PM every day while my MIL slept after working her graveyard shift. With a toddler. And on Christmas, too.
  • My son, who as my friend aptly described, sounded like a 'barking seal', got better. Gotta love the humidifier!!!

We enjoyed our trip. Do we have to go back to work?

No comments: