Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Nostalgia, served with a side of camp

It all started with Jon Krakauer. I enjoyed Krakauer's book 'Into Thin Air' and then I discovered his book 'Into the Wild.' I was really blown away by the book. Quite honestly, I think that I would have done something similar had I been born male out here on the East Coast (as McCandless was). However, I was fortunate enough to be born in Deadwood, South Dakota to an outdoorsy father. I had my scrapes with wildness-- due to a considerable amount of town spent on the South Dakota/Wyoming border on my grandparent's acreage. Had I not been exposed to that and had grown up in suburban hell, I think that I would have plunged myself more into nature. I understand that I have inborn granola tendencies, and I accept them.

So tonight I was looking on imdb looking at information regarding Into the Wild. I knew that part of the movie was filmed in eastern South Dakota, but on the site I discovered that part of the filming took place south of the Black Hills. As I looked for more information, I linked into a page that showed all movies filmed in South Dakota. One was a skiing movie. And as I looked for more information about that movie, I discovered that it was filmed in my hometown. It's listed incorrectly on the imdb site, because the town listed (Deadwood) does not have a ski area, only my hometown (Lead) does.

When I discovered that another B-movie was shot in 'Deadwood.' (We'll see about that-- I'll give you an update once I've watched it thanks to Netflix.) It's called 'Beast from Haunted Cave.' Which then brought back vivid memories of a time when I was involved in the shooting of a no-budget horror film during high school. How was I involved? It was my crappy Chevy Citation that enabled some of the shots to be filmed. What happened to the movie? I have no idea, although I know someone who probably does.

2 comments:

klugula said...

I wish I had a copy of that evening's festivities or of the original movie making night; in which you were the newscaster...remember? Eric has them all; and I do not...alas. I've asked him for them, but have not seen that request come to fruition. I would give my left nut to see them again; if anything, for the laughter that would follow. Hmmm.

Always Around Kids said...

Perhaps he'll be kind (okay, kind might be the wrong word...) and bring it to a reunion someday. It would be fun to watch it again (although I'll never forget Eric on that road with my headlights shining on him-- were you standing beside him?). I totally did not remember being a newscaster-- I only remember driving my car and watching it at your house afterwards.

There's also a video of a group of us doing karaoke together... :)