Monday, February 18, 2008

Yak

I've been looking forward to this weekend for a very long time. President's Day weekend is awesome, because it's during skiing season and my DH and I both get Monday off.

Before we had a child. It all started last week when we had a day off of school. One would think that I'd be happy. Except that my son was a grumpy mess. So it was an awful day.

He came in and snuggled between us that night. We woke up the next morning and handed him his sippy cup. He took a big swig of water-- and yakked it all up after a coughing fit. (Sheets and duvet cover in the wash.) He was okay that day-- but clearly not himself.

Saturday was the day of yak here. Once first thing in the morning, once in the afternoon, and then twice in a half hour that night. Lots of coughing, still. Low-grade fever.

Yesterday, he was miserable but was easily calmed by movies. Until his fever rose to 104.

Today it was off to the pediatrician. Diagnosis was strep (greaaaat-- he's been sleeping between us, I mean breathing in our faces, for the past four nights) and perhaps pneumonia. He goes back tomorrow to see if the antibiotic will smack down the lung crackling or not.

So much for an idyllic weekend on the slopes.

Hello parenthood.

2 comments:

klugula said...

Thinking about Lindsay Nagel @ this time. No further comments. Ahem.

Always Around Kids said...

In my defense, I left no passive agressive notes on community appliances. I knew better than to drag him into RH (oh, for five peaceful minutes to sniff the leather and be soothed by Silver Sage... but, I digress). I didn't send his grumpy, pukey butt to daycare. I put on my big girl panties, scrubbed the skiing plans, and cleaned up urp. And the chunks out of my hair. As you say, good times! ;)