Monday, May 28, 2007

Perspective

An aspect of my undergraduate work in history that I absolutely adored was looking at an event from a variety of perspectives and divining out the truth hidden in the subjectivity.

That said, I must say that I have really enjoyed watching Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima. I remember that my fellow history students and I would always rag on the historical inaccuracy of popular movies. (So much so that I was was a horrible partner to watch a historic movie with. To the point that I once made an absolute a$$ of myself in a movie theater in Pretoria, South Africa watching Mel Gibson's The Patriot. I was every bit the ugly American that evening as I loudly grouched to my husband about historical inaccuracy every five minutes.) These two movies show how horrible war is-- from every perspective. Dead sons are dead sons. No child should die in a war, and no mother should be crying over a flag-draped coffin.

God bless all of the soldiers stationed in harm's way. And may God bless DH's brother, who is off to Iraq in July.

No comments: