Saturday, January 13, 2007

Unfinished Things

I don't accomplish all that I set out to do. Just ask my DH. I have drawers full of unfinished assorted crafty-ness upstairs. (I am not allowing myself to buy new stuff until I finish some of the freakin' stuff taking up space. Unless I need something to finish it. Or if I need more to complete a set. But pretty much, I've cut myself off.)

It makes me crazy sometimes. I have stacks of stuff, cluttering counters. My poor DH will go through stuff (invariably when I'm busy cooking, or feeding Mark, or blogging) and ask what I want done with this or that bit of clutter. I freak out, telling him not to touch that, I need to go through that, I'll take care of it when I'm done cooking/feeding Mark/blogging. Do I? Not usually.

Which makes it weird that I've recently accomplished a lot. For example, our kitchen/dining room has been 75% painted for months. Going around the cabinets is tough, but not so tough that I should have waited this long. So this morning when Mark went down for a nap, I pulled out the paint and went at it. It's done now.

I feel like I'm actually accomplishing stuff. I finished one craft project (well the major portion of it, it isn't completely finished) and I'm close to finishing another.

I still have my piles of stuff. But it feels good to complete some things.

1 comment:

klugula said...

I'm in the same boat, honey. I've got soooo many incomplete projects. The other half constantly uses the phrase, "I have rocks that need cleaning at home". Allow me to elaborate. There's an episode of The Simpsons; where Lisa and Marge go to clean animals in an oil spill, but all of the celebrities have already taken the animals. So, Lisa and Marge are left w/ rocks to clean. As they're busily scrubbing the black rocks, Marge comments, begrudgingly, "I have rocks that need cleaning at home". So, everytime I see a potential art project; while we're out and about, he will remind me w/ that simple phrase. I know what you mean though, about completing something; and how wonderful it feels. I hate the fact that I know all so well about how great it feels to accomplish a task you've had on your books forever. But it never seems to be enough to get another project to completion. Elation doesn't equal motivation. So, here I sit w/ dozens of incomplete projects.

BTW, I was waiting to read about your appraisal of "your dead home town" from a few entries ago. I haven't been back in over 4 years. Is it really that bad?