Monday, October 29, 2007

An Open Letter to Car Dealerships

My I are the new owners of a Honda Odyssey. It's a great vehicle. DH and I got the vehicle we wanted with the options we wanted, and we're very happy with it.

However, the car buying experience is highly unpleasant. The bait-and-switch tactics are ridiculous, yet consistent.

Please, please consider designing showrooms that are friendlier to the consumer. For example, the showroom at which we purchased our Odyssey had a children's play area. It had three walls, and the fourth side was open to the showroom. Two feet from the toys was a 2008 Accord. Ummm... kids throw things when they play, they run around and they get loud. My child NEEDED to move and get loud to burn off some energy during the 6+ hours we were there. Having a brand-new vehicle right next to all of that was, quite frankly, dumb. Also, there was one television in the dealership on a Sunday (i.e. football day), so a group of 4 to 5 salesmen were constantly in the children's playroom. My son would eventually get tired of working around them to play and would run the showroom floor. I ran after him, so it became a game. Umm... salespeople, when you see a panic-ed mom running, get out of my way. I do not run in your showroom to entertain you.

How hard is it to have a glass wall with a door? How hard is it to have an extra tv in the breakroom for your salespeople? Can you please ask your employees to stay off the children's tables so the children actually have some room to play?

We ended up walking away with the perfect vehicle for our family yesterday, but I have to say that the birthing process was less aggravating than the car-buying process.

The customer pays for your salary. Keep our needs in mind, please.

1 comment:

klugula said...

Oh my dear...good customer service and sensible planning to please the customer...these things are dead. These businesses don't care. Don't worry though, I saw a show on the History Channel last night. Nostradamus' "lost book" has been discovered; and we're all toast by 2012. If that doesn't teach these salespeople to be more respectful, nothing will. Sorry.