Sunday, July 29, 2007

This and That...

DH has been working 60-80 hour weeks the past few weeks. It's been stressful, with Mark being in his curious state. DH is ours as of Thursday, though!

We're off to the West Coast later this week! We'll be going to the Oregon coast, Redwood National Park, Crater Lake, Portland, Mt. Hood, the Columbia River gorge, and hopefully Mt. Saint Helens. We got a fancy schmancy baby backpack that we'll be schlepping Mark in for our hikes. We're pretty excited.

My garden has been chugging along, despite incredibly dry weather. (Zucchini, anyone?) I've tried to come up with some profound post about eating local and preserving food-- but it's summer and I can't be profound. All I can come up with is the following:

You think about the resources it takes for low-gas mileage vehicles such as Suburbans and low-wattage lightbulbs. Apply the same logic to your food. I was at my warehouse store recently and saw that the humungo-bag of organic broccoli was from-- China. Think about the resources it takes to haul humungo-bags of organic broccoli halfway around the world! The thing is that it isn't just the broccoli-- peaches from Greece, tomatoes from Italy, grapes from Peru. To boot, I'm surrounded by struggling farms that are progressively falling to developers. By buying local and preserving my own produce, I am conserving precious energy resources and supporting my local economy. That's a very good thing.

I recieved a grant this spring, and I finally finished everything. Happy, happy!

Watching Mark dance 18-month-old style is hilarious. Truly funny, but charming at the same time!



No comments: