Thursday, July 05, 2007

Optimism

I've been wanting to spout off about 'Scooter' Libby, but I can't gripe any more about politics.

It's also been tempting to go off about global warming with the record temps in the Southwest (not to mention the mid-90s I experienced in Maine) and the Live Earth concert coming up.

I feel a need to look at the glass as half full. I've got a garden that is cranking out the veggies (despite disappointing seed and hungry wildlife). Despite the temper tantrums and dancing on the coffee table (how I wish I was joking), my little guy is growing bigger and doing exactly what a kid his age is supposed to do. My husband and I have our household under control-- we're not in debt and we're saving for retirement.

Everything is good. Which makes me nervous.

I remember a gorgeous morning when I felt like everything was great in the world. It was an absolutely beautiful day, my DH and I were doing well professionally, our families were doing well. As I locked my apartment door that morning, I thought about how lucky and blessed I was.

That morning was September 11, 2001. Within two hours, I would be in a panic because my husband can and does go to the Pentagon and I wasn't sure if he would have gone there without telling me.

He was fine. But ever since then, I get really nervous when things are too good. I get nervous about being an optimist now.

No comments: