Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's Coming On...

I have felt it building for a while now. Last school year buzzed by. Planting my garden flew past me, as did the watering and harvesting. Now I'm deep into another school year.

Right before I was able to transfer into my current school, life was crazy. I was trying to conceive a child, to no avail. DH and I were building a house while each completing our Master's degrees. My respite was yoga.

Oh, I know that you are thinking that I'm getting all New-Agey and yuppified on you. I started yoga intending to find some new techniques to de-stress. Yoga definitely taught me how to release stress. Then I began seeing my body tone up, which made me dive in even further. I felt really strong and powerful when I was regularly practicing yoga. I loved that.

I denied that I would buy into the spiritual angle of it all, though. I am Catholic, to the point that it's a cultural aspect of my life as well as religious.

The weird thing was that I found that yoga enhanced my religion. Catholicism was focused on the how to live in community. Yoga made me focus on how I was interacting within that community. (i.e., Catholicism was the societal rules while yoga enhanced my personal rules.)

When I finally conceived my child and delivered a son, I dropped the yoga. I went head-first into survival mode, trying to care for my child while my husband flew in and out of town. Diapers and feedings were the focus, not chaturanga and savasana.

Yoga is calling me back, though. I'm preparing to step off of this crazy treadmill of days that melt into one another.

So I'm throwing a promise to myself out into the universe: It is time to refocus and reflect. Yoga is back in my life. I'm not sure where it will take me, but here goes...

1 comment:

~e said...

If you need a yoga buddy, you'll let me know?